Seeing those first rays of sunshine may have you wanting to rush outside to enjoy the warm weather, but before you do you might want to make sure the summer heat isn’t going to cause you to experience venous issues.
More people experience venous issues during the warmer summer months than during the colder winter months. Why is that? It has to do with the combination of warm weather and increased outdoor activity.
The warm summer heat causes the veins in the body to naturally increase in size. This increase in size, which is caused by swelling, helps improve blood flow throughout the body. Unfortunately, because the veins are larger, the body must work harder to pump the blood through the body. For a person with healthy veins, this natural process doesn’t cause any problems. However, for people a person with venous issues, problems can and will occur.
The veins of a person who suffers from venous issues cannot handle the additional stress that is caused by the increased blood flow. The stress that is placed on the veins often causes a weakening of the walls of the vein. When this happens, blood will pool or accumulate in the legs and cause varicose veins and other issues.
Even though there is an increased chance of experiencing varicose veins in summer that doesn’t mean you should be stuck indoors. You can seek treatment for your painful leg veins. Once treatment is sought, you can go out and enjoy the warm summer sun in Long Island without worrying about experiencing itchy, painful, or swollen varicose veins.
How You Can Prepare for Varicose Vein Treatment
Very little preparation needs to be done before your varicose vein treatment because most of the procedures are minimally invasive. However, there are a few simple things you can do to prepare for your varicose vein treatment.
Some things you can do to prepare include:
- Wearing comfortable, loose fitting clothing to your appointment – you will need to remove clothing from the area where you will be getting treatment. Wearing loose fitting clothing will make this easier. After treatment, you may experience painful leg veins. The loose fitting clothing will prevent you from experiencing any intense discomfort.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home – you can usually drive yourself home after most varicose vein treatments, but if you are extremely anxious or worried about being in pain you may want to have someone drive you home
- Make arrangements to not engage in intense activities for 24 hours – it is often recommended that you engage in light activities for at least 24 hours after your treatment
What to Expect During Treatment
There are many types of varicose vein treatments available and all of them are performed differently. It is best to speak with your vein specialist about what to expect during your treatment as they can provide you with specifics about the procedure you will be undergoing.
Even though every varicose vein treatment is different, there are a few things that are the same with almost all procedures. You can usually expect the following:
- Remove clothing so the treated area is easily accessible
- Local anesthetic is applied to the treatment area prevent you from experiencing any pain or discomfort when either an incision is made or a catheter is inserted
- Treatment takes approximately an hour to complete
What to Do After Treatment
Practicing good aftercare will help speed up the healing process after seeking treatment for varicose veins. Some of the things you should do after treatment include:
- Following through with all instructions for aftercare – changing dressings or gauze as recommended or wearing compression socks
- Wait at least a full day before showering
- Try to avoid stress for several days after the procedure
- Avoid intense workouts for approximately seven days
- Avoid taking long baths or going in the pool
- Plan on engaging in light exercise such as walking
- Take over-the-counter pain medication as needed for any slight pain or discomfort
Meet our vein physicians in New York who can help you get ready for the summer. Our experience vein specialists can help you find the best treatment so you no longer suffer from painful leg veins. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a consultation.