Varicose Veins in the Chest and Breasts
Varicose Veins in the Chest and Breasts
Whether you are experiencing varicose vein pain or simply seeking treatment of spider veins for cosmetic purposes, Schulman Vein and Laser Center offers breast vein treatment.
For many men and women, veins in the chest or breasts are visible for years, but some women only notice them after receiving breast implants. Both familiar and newly surfaced veins are treated at our cosmetic vein and laser center with the use of sclerotherapy, an outpatient procedure with minimal side effects. But first, what are varicose veins and what causes them?
What Causes Varicose Veins?
There are many different causes of varicose veins, but they all result in one thing: pooling of blood in the veins. This can happen from either a loss of elasticity in the veins or trouble with the valves. As the blood pools up, the veins become deformed and can be visible through the skin. Aging is the most common cause of breast varicose veins, but there are other risk factors that can make a person more susceptible.
Who Suffers from Varicose Veins in the Chest and Breasts?
Anyone can suffer from varicose veins in the breasts (women) or chest area (men), but there are some traits that make a person more susceptible than others:
- Aging – As the body ages, blood vessels and valves weaken and the likelihood of varicose veins increases.
- Sex – Women, particularly women who have been pregnant, are more likely to suffer from varicose veins due to the effect female hormones can have on vein walls. Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy can cause similar effects.
- Obesity – Increased body weight adds pressure to blood vessels.
- Family History – As with all health conditions, some people are simply genetically predisposed to varicose veins.
Treating Chest and Breast Veins with Sclerotherapy
Varicose and spider vein treatment in the chest and breast area is performed via sclerotherapy, where medications are injected into the veins, irritating them and closing them off from blood. With the blood rerouted through other veins, the varicose veins lose their visibility.
- Sclerotherapy is an outpatient procedure, injections are nearly painless, and no anesthesia is used.
- Treatment can lead to a temporary swelling or bruising of the area, leaving breasts tender to the touch for a short period of time.
- Patients with breast implants need not worry about any added risks; varicose veins are close to the surface and present no risk to the implants.
- Initial results should be noticeable almost immediately.
All of the medications we use in varicose vein removal have been approved by the FDA and do not interact with other medications. See examples of breast vein removal. We recommend waiting at least three months after having breast vein injection treatment before undergoing a mammogram, however.
Breast Vein and Chest Vein Therapy
Enlarged breast veins and chest veins are all treated with injection sclerotherapy. In some women the veins are very visible for years and in other cases after breast implant surgery the veins seem to be more prominent. Treatment of these areas can lead to a temporary bruising in the chest or breasts and short term tenderness to touch. Breast implant patients are always fearful of rupturing or needling the implant. While we fully understand your concern, please understand that it has never ever happened before and that the veins we treat are very very superficial so we don’t get anywhere near the implant. As a precaution we ask you not have a mammogram for about three months after having breast vein injection treatment. The treatment of these veins like everything else done at the Schulman Vein and Laser Center, is all FDA approved, pain free, done personally by the doctors, and all on an outpatient basis.
Contact Us to Set Up a Free Vein Screening
If you have questions about breast and chest varicose vein treatment, contact one of our offices to learn more or schedule a screening.
Click here to view some of our Breast Veins removal before and after photos
We Only Do Veins™
Call now to schedule your FREE vein screening
Contact us today to find out more information